Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886 Aachen - Chicago 1969) is one of the 20th century's outstanding architects and designers, whose creations changed the whole architectural language in Germany, even in the USA. His idea of functionality, formal lucidity, materiality and technical innovation are present in his constructions, also in Krefeld. For the textile Manufacturers Hermann Lange and Josef Esters he designed the houses Lange and Esters (1927/30) and for Verseidag the dye works building (1930/31).
Egon Eiermann (1904-1970), who built the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche in Berlin, is regarded as one of the most influential post-war modernist architects in West Germany. Mies van der Rohe was an important model for him, whom he greatly admired. The paths of the two architects cross in Krefeld. At the beginning of the 1950s, Eiermann built the adminstrative building for Verseidag, which now serves as the city hall, and for which Mies van der Rohe also submitted a design shortly before the outbreak of the second World War. Josef Esters for his part commissioned Eiermann to design a house for the garden of the villa that Mies had built, but sadly it was never carried out.
The 10th krefelder architekturtage will examine the connections between Mies and Eiermann by looking at the example of the Krefeld buildings, and cast an eye on the continuation of “new architecture” in the post-war period.
The programme will be conducted in German language.
You can book guided tours in englisch language: email@example.com