Museum Haus Esters, 1927-1930
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Photo: Volker Döhne
|MUSEUMS HAUS LANGE AND HAUS ESTERS
CLOSED DUE TO REFURBISHMENT
15 JANUARY 2018 – EARLY 2019
Haus Lange and Esters in Wilhelmshofallee are two major examples of New Objectivity architecture. Planned and built between 1927 and 1930 by the internationally renowned Bauhaus architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886 – 1969), they embody the union of subject and space as well as of architecture and nature. Haus Lange and Haus Esters have been used as museums for temporary exhibitions since 1955 and 1981, respectively.
For the renovation of the landmarked ensemble encompassing Haus Lange and Haus Esters, the city of Krefeld has received funding totalling 700,000 Euros from the “2015 National Projects of Urban Design” programme of the Federal Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety. Essential maintenance measures such as the renewal of the heating boiler, renovation of the brickwork and the garden house at Haus Esters were already carried out in 2016 and 2017. The renovation work on the buildings and the interiors of the houses will be continued in 2018. With the help of this public funding, the long-term preservation of building fabric that largely stems from the time they were constructed will be ensured.
Haus Lange and Haus Esters will remain closed to the public in 2018 on account of the restoration work. To mark the centennial of the Bauhaus in 2019, the Kunstmuseen Krefeld will reopen the villas in early 2019 with a yearlong programme on the theme “Living Differently. Plans for Haus Lange and Haus Esters”.